Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Dallas in the Garden

Carrots, cucumbers, basil, blackberries, blueberries, sweet potatoes, strawberries, watermelons and tomatoes. Also I have zucchinis which will soon take over the planet. I'm afraid to weed them because 1- they are ALREADY huge and so obviously need no help from me, and 2- there are humongous spiders who love their gargantuan leaves, and yes I worked with cheetahs and chimps and great horned owls and porcupines. Still.... these are SPIDERS we're talking about. 

Anyway, these are what I've got in my garden- mostly began from seeds, but a few from seedlings. Next year, I'll be better prepared and buy my seeds from the Seed Savers Exchange. Just finished Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" which will set you straight on best farming practices, as well as the importance of buying local produce or growing it yourself. In fact, I'm really into restaurants which purchase locally grown produce, too.

So far, I have lost one sweet potato plant and one raspberry bush to the great plant avenger, Dallas. Both on Chris' watch, while I was in Wilmington. Which I have pointed out to him, on more than one occasion.  

But, if I'm honest, two is far fewer plants than I expected to lose by this time.



Is this the face of a sweet potato murderer?

1 comment:

  1. "Is this the face of a sweet potato murderer?" - HILARIOUS! :)

    ReplyDelete